Ride 4 Pride
Celebrating Pride Month with a company-wide Fitness Challenge to raise money for one•n•ten, an organization empowering LGBTQIA+ Youth!
Here at Lead, we believe in fostering an inclusive and supportive work environment where every individual’s voice is celebrated and embraced. As we enter the vibrant and empowering month of Pride, we are excited to announce a company-wide fitness challenge that combines our love for physical activity, philanthropy, and the LGBTQIA+ community (WE LOVE TO LOVE).
This Pride Month, we are running, walking, and biking our way towards an ambitious goal of 3,000 miles, all with the purpose of raising funds for one•n•ten, an Arizona-based non-profit offering a safe space to empower LGBTQIA+ youth toward leadership and self-love. (PLEASE, visit their site to learn more and donate!)
Our goal goes far beyond simply achieving a mileage target. Through this challenge, we strive to raise awareness and promote inclusivity and team unity, all while demonstrating our unwavering support for the LGBTQIA+ community MILE BY MILE! Basically, we want to put our money where our mouth is; acknowledging is one thing, and truly celebrating is another!
This will be good for the body and the soul, so follow us on this journey as we lace up our sneakers, put on our helmets, and step onto the trails, all for a most worthy cause! To learn more about that cause – read below:
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ+) young people may feel unsafe and unwelcome in youth programs developed for the general population. Fifty-seven percent of the one·n·ten youth responding to our 2022 youth survey experienced homophobia or transphobia from the Arizona community at large. By affirming self-identified gender identities and sexual orientations, one·n·ten maintains a supportive environment where LGBTQ+ youth feel comfortable learning alongside their peers.
By celebrating rather than neglecting LGBTQ+ history and culture, we create a safe space where young people learn to navigate the path to adulthood and achieve their highest potential. In the feedback section of our 2022 youth survey, a young person shared, “Thank you for absolutely changing my life, one·n·ten. I’ve had the opportunity to present awards to staff, speak at Fresh Brunch, perform in drag at the Youth Center, represent you all in Phoenix Pride, introduce more people to your wonderful programs, and participate in Camp and Pride and [Youth Advisory Council] with you all. And I truly don’t think I’ve done enough with you all yet. I wish my work schedule allowed me to participate more but it’s amazing to know that, even now, one-n-ten always has my back.”
By funding one·n·ten, you help LGBTQ+ youth develop confidence and empower themselves with skills for a lifetime.
With your support, LGBTQ+ youth and young adults acquire skills for self-sufficiency, wellbeing, and resilience. Signature programs include:
- YOUTH CENTER: Young people build self-esteem and resiliency skills in daily activities with their peers. Community resource referral and supportive services including showers, groceries, and clothing are also available.
- SATELLITE GROUPS: Youth from a growing list of Arizona cities have access to one·n·ten programs. Satellites operate in Anthem, Litchfield Park, Mesa, Glendale, Queen Creek, Chandler, Scottsdale, Surprise, Gilbert, Tempe, Peoria, Flagstaff, Prescott, Cottonwood, and Yuma.
- IDENTITY-SPECIFIC PROGRAMS: To address the unique needs and experiences of trans and non-binary youth, and youth who are Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, we have identity-specific support groups and retreats led by staff members with lived experience.
- WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM: Youth prepare themselves for the future by learning in-demand skills, gaining practical experience, and having connections to LGBTQ-friendly employers.
- RAPID RE-HOUSING: LGBTQ+ young adults ages 18 to 24 who are experiencing or at risk of experiencing homelessness receive job readiness training and graduated food, rental, or utilities assistance while preparing to live independently.
- CAMP OUTDOORS: Many outdoor programs do not allow LGBTQ+ youth to attend. Through outdoor activities and more than 50 workshops, youth build leadership skills and work in collaborative ways while connecting to the environment.
one·n·ten was founded in 1993 and provided a unique opportunity for LGBTQ+ youth to connect, socialize, and receive support for navigating community resources. Our services have expanded since then, but our goal is the same. We enhance the lives of LGBTQ+ youth and young adults through programs that promote self-expression, self-acceptance, and healthy life choices. one·n·ten is the largest organization in Arizona providing comprehensive services to LGBTQ+ and allied youth ages 11 to 24. Last year, services and support were provided to 1,029 young people.
* Information provided by one·n·ten *